Sunday, February 17, 2008

Welcome Home Party Aftermath





Another party has ended and all the dishes have been done. Tom and Miriam have officially moved home from Malaysia! I would say over all this party was a great success. The guest list was about 25 which makes for a more manageable group. I was definitely less stressed this go around.

I started Saturday morning with preparing the brie. This took about 20 minutes and then I placed in the fridge for storage. Then I was off to get my haircut, which by the way I chopped 6 inches. Then when I got back I started the remainder of the food preparations. I made the quiche, breadsticks, gnocchi, eggplant stacks and then ended with crab cakes. This way the crab cakes and eggplant would be hot when the guests arrived.

We started this party a little earlier than I normally do since we had a bit older crowd and kids were welcome. The party started at 5:00 and the last guest left at approx. 11:30.

The most popular item was the crab cakes followed by the eggplant stacks. The least successful item was the gnocchi again. I have to say that means that I won't be making any more gnocchi for parties. I was also disappointed in how the breadsticks turned out. They were quite dry and didn't have a whole lot of flavor so I won't be making those again either. Despite this I really feel the menu was perfectly planned as we didn't have to many left overs. Below is the recipe for the crab cakes for those interested.

I would say total cost of party was approx. $400 which is about $16 a person. Not to bad since that total includes alcohol. Which by the way we had the perfect amount.

The next party to plan is the bridal shower, a birthday party and a housewarming. Busy times around the corner. Cheers!

Crab Cakes
courtesy of Paula Deen

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Yield: 4-6 Servings

1 pound crabmeat, picked free of shells
1/3 cup crushed crackers (recommended: Ritz)
3 green onions (green and white parts), finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt Dash cayenne pepper
Flour, for dusting
1/2 cup peanut oil
Favorite dipping sauce, for serving

In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, except for the flour and peanut oil. Shape into patties and dust with flour.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, carefully place crab cakes, in batches, in pan and fry until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip crab cakes and fry on other side until golden brown, about 4 minutes.

Serve warm with preferred sauce.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am happy to help you host the Housewarming, if you want/need help.