Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It's been awhile...........

Wow I did it! Dave made me promise not to throw any parties during the month of June and today is June 25. I succeeded! My reward was supposed to be a dinner at Mark's but we decided to buy a puppy so that is my reward. For those who don't know above is a picture of Tashi Massey.
So July is now around the corner and I am going through serious party planning withdrawal. I have so many new recipes I want to try so everyone get ready!

Party #1 - Project Runway Season 4 premiers on Wednesday, July 16. My dear friend James started the tradition of getting together as a group to cheer on our favorite contestants. He so graciously included me in the fun and of course my party planning took over and now I like to help organize the wonderous events. So our first event will be the season premier. It will take place at my house and I will provide some snacks. I just sent an email to the group notifying everyone so I should have an RSVP count soon. Then I can plan what snacks I would like to do. I may do a red pepper hummus recipe from Barefoot Contessa I have been wanting to try.

Party #2 - I would like to host a small cocktail party. This is still in the planning stages and a date has not been selected.



Hope everyone is doing well and I will post more soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog via Homesick Texan - and thought you might be interested in this recipe. (I live in Houston, too)! :)

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, according to the recipe from Pappasito's, it is not actually a soup but is a slightly soupy bean dish, called pinto bean soup.

PAPPASITO'S FRIJOLES A LA CHARRA (PINTO BEAN SOUP)
Makes about 1/2 gallon

3/4 lb. dried pinto beans
3 quarts water, divided use
3/8 lb. bacon, cut into 1-inch squares
1/2 cup coarsely chopped white onion
1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
3 to 4 Tbsp. chopped cilantro, divided use
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin (cominos)
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
3/4 Tbsp. salt
1 cup chopped Roma tomatoes

Soak beans in 2 quarts water 8 hours.

Drain beans and set aside.

In a 1 gallon heavy pot, cook bacon until well done. Do not undercook or it will look raw in finished product.

Add onions, garlic, 1 to 2 Tbsp. and chopped cilantro to hot bacon and cook until onion is transparent, about 10 minutes.

Add the drained beans, cumin and chili powder. Stir and add remaining 1 quart water. Turn heat to medium-low. Stir in salt. Cook beans slowly until fork tender, about 1 hour. Stir frequently to avoid burning the bottom.

Stir in tomatoes and remaining cilantro and heat through.

Serve in bowls.

Beans may be cooled to below 40 degrees, then reheated when ready to serve.

Source: Houston Chronicle newspaper